Make sure your dog is Mr or Ms Cool
Summer has finally arrived and the feel of the warmth and heat after the winter is just fabulous. Out come the shorts and tee shirts but please remember that your dog doesn’t have this option and summer can bring a range of problems for our dogs. Including dehydration, sunburn and heatstroke, all of which can be fatal. So make sure your dog is Mr (or Ms) cool this summer and have fun.
Here’s our Animal Magic top tips for a safe summer with your dog:
• Don’t leave your dog in the car – even in the shade with windows open the temperature can soar turning your car into an oven. Remember – dogs die in hot cars.
• Try to walk your dog in the cool of the morning or evening and if you really must walk at lunchtime choose a sheltered lane or wood. And never allow your dog to exercise excessively in hot weather.
• Consider having your dog’s coat clipped for the summer, most breeds seem to really appreciate this, if you cannot bear the thought of an all over clip then opt for just a tummy clip so your dog can make contact with cool surfaces.
• Provide your dog with a wet towel to lie on and/or a wet towel over their body
• Your dog will enjoy a shady spot to lie in but during the hottest part of the day they might be more comfortable indoors.
• If your dog goes off their food try to feed them later in the evening when it is cooler and you will usually find their appetites return.
• Always carry water with you on hot days and give your dog frequent small amounts.
• Most dogs enjoy a paddle or swim and it will help them keep cool but always dry off their ears and under collars to avoid irritations.
There are loads of dog ice cream recipes on the internet but a really quick and simple one is to blend 3 bananas, 32 oz of Greek yogurt and 1 cup of unsalted smooth peanut butter and put it in moulds. This will give you lots of treats for hot days, you might even enjoy one yourself!
Animal Magic Dog Club is a fun, family orientated community club catering for local dogs and dogs on holiday. Come and try out our FREE puppy play group. We also offer a wide range of training for puppies and adult dogs, and also run regular social events. Animal Magic can be contacted on 01263 720730 (please leave a message) or e-mail [email protected] or visit our web site