Animal Magic Puppy and Dog training classes are not only about how you can train your new best friend. They are also about educating yourself so that you can ensure your puppy’s/dogs safety and welfare.
Despite the wet weather the springtime plants are starting to appear. Snowdrops are in bloom and even the Daffs are starting to poke their greenery above the surface. It’s a cruel trick of nature that some of the most beautiful, colorful springtime plants pose a deadly temptation to our puppies and dogs.
Taking a few simple precautions to avoid any plants known to be deadly to pets can prevent a potential tragedy for you and your family this spring. Also be sure you know your vet’s emergency arrangements so you know exactly where to go if an incident occurs out of hours.
A few common plants to be aware of:
Tulips and Hyacinths
Tulips contain allergenic Lactones. Lactones are derived from chemical compounds and taste a bit like Whiskey. Hyacinths contain similar compounds. It’s the bulbs of these two plants, not the leaves or flowers, which are toxic. There’s no antidote if your dog is poisoned by eating a Tulip or Hyacinth bulb, and severe symptoms need immediate treatment.
If your pet licks or eats any part of a daffodil – the bulb, plant or flower – they will ingest an alkaloid called Lycorine which can irritate the tissues of the mouth and throat and cause excessive drooling.
Lycorine can also trigger a gastrointestinal response like vomiting, abdominal pain or diarrhea. In more serious cases, heart and respiratory problems can occur. Severe symptoms such as these require immediate attention by a vet.
The variety of crocus plants that blooms in the spring is a member of the Iridaceae family. Spring crocuses can cause gastrointestinal upset in your pet, typically vomiting and diarrhoea.
The crocus that blooms in autumn is known as the Meadow Saffron, and this plant is highly poisonous to companion animals.
If your puppy tastes a Meadow Saffron crocus, they can experience severe vomiting, gastrointestinal bleeding, liver and kidney damage, and respiratory failure. Symptoms of toxicity from this plant can appear immediately upon ingestion up to several days later.
If your pet shows signs of poisoning by an autumn blooming crocus, take her for veterinary treatment right away, and bring along the plant.
Lily of the Valley
The substance in Lily of the Valley that is toxic to your pet is called cardiac glycosides. If you think your dog has ingested a Lily of the Valley, you should get him to your vet for a checkup.
So please do not leave puppies unattended in your garden to play, I guarantee they will get up to no good.